During the week commencing 30 June 2014 experts Dr Marina Eggert and Mr David Norris worked with the State Committee for Standardization, Metrology and Patent of the Republic of Azerbaijan (SCSMP) on the development of a National Plan for converting mandatory standards to technical regulations.
Mr Norris’s visit is the third in a series of missions to assist in modernizing the system for the sale of standards, defining the practices and rules that enable SCSMP and its related bodies to provide International and European Standards for use within Azerbaijan. This will support the ability of Azerbaijani companies to produce products suitable for export to the European Union and beyond.
Dr Eggert’s visit took place as part of a component that aims to assist SCSMP to identify and engage stakeholders and ensure their active involvement in Technical Committees that will “mirror” International Standards work to ensure that Azerbaijan can participate in and adopt International and European Standards that are to the interests of Azerbaijan.
The visits took place within the EU funded twinning programme partnering SCSMP with a consortium from the UK (British Standards Institution (BSI)), France (ADETEF/AFNOR) and Slovenia (Slovenian Institute of Quality and Metrology (SIQ)).
The overall project aims to support the development of a modern system of standardization and technical regulations in Azerbaijan that complies with European requirements and the WTO Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) Agreement enabling Azerbaijan to:
· Work towards WTO accession on commercially viable terms;”
· “Strengthen the institutions in charge of standardization, accreditation, conformity assessment, … (and) integrate them to the extent possible within European and international structures”
· “Move toward EU and international legislative and administrative practices for technical regulations, standards and conformity assessment.“
· “Simplify procedures of conformity assessment of industrial products, with the aim of avoiding compulsory certification of low risk products and repeat testing
Other project components relate to
1. The establishment and operation of Technical Committees (TCs) to co-ordinate Azerbaijani interests in International and European standardization ;
2. the improvement to the accessibility of standards to Azerbaijan Stakeholders through a database enabling users to identify the most appropriate standards for their needs